Sunday, February 22, 2009

Loving Casey

Written by Carrie Bevell Partridge, Casey parent

I think that my children are naturally creative, but I know for a fact that their creativity is enhanced by their education at Casey Elementary School. They come home talking about their projects and creations, and I love that these are not confined to Art Class, as it is in so many other schools (if they are fortunate enough to still be able to have Art Class). At Casey, Art Class is a wonderful addition to an already arts-integrated education.

Earlier this year, my son came home and rattled off an entire description and facts about the artist Paul Clay. Personally, I was not familiar with this artist, but my kindergartener had great things to say about him and even said he wanted to be like him when he grew up! I was so impressed that my son had retained all of this information and was intrigued by the fact that he was so intrigued.

The arts and creative thinking are not limited to school hours for my children. They come home and are excited to continue to create and even to extend their school day, so to speak (They get to become the teachers!). They mimic their teachers' enthusiasm and drive. They create stories, pictures, plays, dances, and songs, and they make their younger sister excited about one day going to Casey, too. And they are just as excited about reading, math, and science as they are about art and music.

As a Casey parent, I always love walking the halls at this school. I love seeing the students' creative work that is displayed all over the school. And while I do seek out my own children's projects, I find myself entranced by the work of all of the students. It is colorful and eye-catching, and any observer can tell that these students take great pride in their work. And I know that the students wouldn't be as excited about it all if it were not for their teachers' enthusiasm for the creative process in education. We are so thankful for this! We are so thankful for Casey Elementary School, and we sing its praises all over Jackson. In fact, my children are always quick to point out--with great pride--that their school is a creative arts school!

1 comment:

Julie Nolte Owen said...

Thank you, Carrie, for sharing such a personal reflection about what Casey means to your family. I share your thoughts and experiences!